Heather's Boutique, picture from Getty Images

Thursday, September 21, 2006

Top Gear

When I returned home last night from a most delicious meal at a tapas bar in Borough. I was very sad to hear that Richard Hammond from the tv show Top Gear was critically ill in hospital.

For those of you who have never heard of Top Gear, it's a programme about Cars.

Apart from having a go at fixing the odd thing, like the head gasket etc. It's something I don't really have a huge amount of interest in. I suppose I'm like most women, as long as there is somewhere for me to put my shopping, it comes in the right colour and it's easy to park, I'm happy....

Anyway, and here is the genius of Top Gear, it has women like me, genuinely interested in the programme. Gosh, I don't know what's wrong with me, I actually look forward to it.... my Sunday evening consists of watching Top Gear on BBC 2 at 8 o'clock, then turning over to "the other" channel for Midsomer Murders at 9 o'clock.

There are 3 presenters, Jeremy Clarkson Richard Hammond and James May, all have their own style of presenting.

Jeremy Clarkson - Very passionate about cars, loud outspoken and opinionated. Enjoys being controversial, bless him.

Richard Hammond - Equally as passionate about cars, and speed, down to earth kind of guy. More often than not does the daring stunts for the show. He once went under water sitting in a car, to see how long it would take before he could open the car doors....it took ages. (there was a diver with an oxygen mask in the back)

James May - He brings a sophisticated element to the show, the other two tease him sometimes because he's a bit old fashioned.

Along with the three presenters, there are....

The Stig - anonymous racing driver, who tests most of the cars which feature in the show. He drives round a race track doing a timed lap. The time is then put on a board with all the others. Random celebrities also get to do this in an "average priced car".

The dog - there is a show dog, Richard looks after him. I don't remember it's name, but it's a shaggy one.

So finally I will get to my point...of course Richard Hammond won't be reading my little old blog, but I hope you get well very soon, and I'm sure my readers wish you the best as well.

More posts after QPR on Sat, Heather x


14 Comments:

  • At Thursday, September 21, 2006 6:47:00 pm, Blogger Señor Tronosco said…

    Sad news, not wishing to speak to soon but looks like things may be ok though.
    Ever seen Brainiac? Hammond has the best job ever, blowing up caravans must be so satisfying!

     
  • At Thursday, September 21, 2006 7:27:00 pm, Blogger Heather said…

    I hope this post didn't come across as sarcastic, I really do like Top Gear! I have tried not to but without success.
    That's fantastic news about him getting better.

    I have seen Brainiac. Very amusing..and funny...boys and their toys. You're right he does have the best job ever. Why doesn't he like caravans though?

     
  • At Thursday, September 21, 2006 8:28:00 pm, Blogger Señor Tronosco said…

    I must admit me gusta caravans...the open road, a gypsy girl by my side, the sound of guitar over the camp fire...

    Pero combine this with explosive fireworks, now that would realy be my idea of a perfect night!

     
  • At Thursday, September 21, 2006 8:34:00 pm, Blogger Heather said…

    I see..

     
  • At Friday, September 22, 2006 1:36:00 am, Blogger simon said…

    I have seen the two shows you speak of "down under". Its a really good show on cars! However Midsomer..just how many people do get murdered there? Seems incredible.

     
  • At Saturday, September 23, 2006 4:47:00 am, Blogger Unknown said…

    I didn't know that Brits drove cars. When did this all come about?

     
  • At Sunday, September 24, 2006 5:45:00 pm, Blogger Rog said…

    Rooting for the Hamster ... he is on the mend according to latest news. Just a shame it wasn't that tosser Clarkson.

    Thanks for link...I have reciprocated and will be watching your blog intently for more Newfie News.

     
  • At Sunday, September 24, 2006 6:29:00 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    A cup holder does not an automobile make.

    And I'm pretty sure if Heather covered all the things you didn't know, she'd have to do a post a minute for a decade.

     
  • At Sunday, September 24, 2006 9:18:00 pm, Blogger Heather said…

    Simon - it seems to be about 3 per episode, I don't think I'll be moving there..that's fantastic you get those shows the other side of the world

    Hi Stephen and welcome - Yes we Brits do drive cars!....you must have been here on vacation? I rarely get to sit in the important seat though...my husband says I'm bonkers behind the wheel.

    Murphmeister - glad you liked it, and thank you very much for the link to me. yes I think I will do a post about my Newfies soon, just as soon as I can get them to behave..

    I'm sure Mr Clarkson is adorable and it's all an on screen persona, I bet he's a real softie really.

    anon - ?? someone got out of bed the wrong side this morning...

    I think Stephen was just having a little joke..and he knows perfectly well when the British first started driving cars...I'm sure I do...otherwise that would be an appalling lack of general knowledge.

    anyone?

     
  • At Monday, September 25, 2006 12:58:00 am, Blogger simon said…

    Heather:- Yes we do get those shows as well as The Bill, Parkinson, Wire in the blood.. Bleak House, etc etc

    The only trouble I have is pedalling fast enough to keep the generator working whilst watching (ha ah!) :o)

    I agree with Anon re cup holders, but there is really an "art" to the designing one. Subaru has the best..(in my humble view). But for me its about the "drivabilty"
    (sorry but I am a bit of a petrol head). eg porsche 993 does not have cup holders but what a drive ! :o)

     
  • At Monday, September 25, 2006 11:01:00 pm, Blogger Heather said…

    Simon - what a very nice car, is it in my favourite colour?

     
  • At Tuesday, September 26, 2006 12:14:00 am, Blogger simon said…

    What is your fav colour in cars? Its actually a dark green, almost smoke colour. Last of the air cooled tiptronics :o).

     
  • At Tuesday, September 26, 2006 6:52:00 pm, Blogger Heather said…

    Simon - fav colour is pink. But yes on cars I think that would look quite ghastly...so I would opt for silver.

     
  • At Wednesday, September 27, 2006 1:24:00 am, Blogger simon said…

    yes I agree. Silver/black/ are my two colours of choice in motor cars..

     

Post a Comment

<< Home