Heather's Boutique, picture from Getty Images

Friday, October 20, 2006

Time Out

I've been reading up on Paris with the help the guide books. I don't want to make another faux pas concerning gastronomic oddities or walk down the Champs Elysees in the wrong shoes. I want to be prepared for all eventualities.

Paris Time Out say "No world famous tourist trap or low life club has been left unvisited"

Interesting, lucky journalists having to visit the all best places as well as the grotty ones, all in the name of research for their grateful readers. Sounds very stressful, I can just imagine how the conversation would go if I had that job.....

Friend says, "Heather, are you coming out for dinner on Wednesday night to that place that we always go to in Soho?

Me "Sounds nice but we always go there, have you booked?"

Friend says, "No, because we always go there"

Me "Ok, let me check my diary, what time?"

Friend says, "Well, we have to get there early because we haven't booked"

Me "What about 7 o'clock?"

Friend says, "Great I'll meet you there."

Me "Hang on a minute sorry I can't, I've got something already on for that evening. I've got to go to Hakkasan for dinner."

Friend says, "Have you booked?"

Me "Yes, I'm going with some other journalists from work, you know, research and all that, it's part of my job"

Friend says, "That's Chinese isn't it? I hear it's gorgeous, famous for Dim Sum, quite expensive though, do you have to pay?"

Me "No "

Friend says, "So you're going to Hakkasan for dinner, with colleagues, and you're not paying for any of it?"

Me "That's right"

Friend says, "Shame you're going to embarrass yourself using chopsticks then isn't it."?

Yes that job would be just my cup of Lapsang su shong.


I have managed to bribe a friend with homemade Victoria Sandwich cakes to look after my blog for me when I'm away, more on that soon, and H'Scopes.

Heather x

9 Comments:

  • At Monday, October 23, 2006 8:48:00 pm, Blogger Rog said…

    If you make a faux pas at least you've done so in French!
    Have une tres bonne visite, Mademoiselle!
    And looking after blogs is kid's stuff compared to looking after Fluffy & Grizzle! Have they been bribed with Victoria Sandwiches as well?

     
  • At Monday, October 23, 2006 10:00:00 pm, Blogger Heather said…

    Hi Murph, merci bien.

    Dogs have been bribed with marrow bones and a promise to drool over dogsitters. Will be bringing them back some tinned fois gras.

     
  • At Tuesday, October 24, 2006 6:54:00 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    At least a journo wouldn't get kicked off after 90 mins in Haakasan. Nice food but ridiculous in the evening if you aren't a celeb.

    You'll be fine of course

     
  • At Tuesday, October 24, 2006 11:15:00 am, Blogger KAZ said…

    You get a great view of Paris from the top of 'La Samaritaine' dept store.
    And the food's better in Paris too.

     
  • At Tuesday, October 24, 2006 5:44:00 pm, Blogger Heather said…

    anon - you mean I'm not a celeb? phew, good lighting though, ideal for bad hair days.

    Kaz - Thanks, I hope they serve Champagne.

     
  • At Wednesday, October 25, 2006 3:22:00 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I didn't realise you worked as a journolist Heather, hope you all have a great time together, not long now.

     
  • At Friday, October 27, 2006 10:27:00 am, Blogger nuttycow said…

    I always thought that the Ben Fogles and Kate Humbles of this world were the lucky ones. Day runs a little like this.

    8:00: get up
    9:00: be out in the zoo/nature park/savanna
    9:30 - 11:30: watch animals and talk a bit about them
    12:00: back at camp/hotel
    12:00 - 6:00: do nothing
    6:00: first gin and tonic of the day
    6:00: onwards: downhill
    Yes,

     
  • At Friday, October 27, 2006 10:29:00 am, Blogger nuttycow said…

    realised I didn't finish that comment - brain dead this morning.

    Anyway, I was going to say yes, I could do that job.

     
  • At Friday, October 27, 2006 2:33:00 pm, Blogger Heather said…

    Hi nuttycow, I like the name!? yep there's another one, sounds ideal.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home